Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Weeks 5-6: Getting the Hang of Things

Gracelyn saw the doctor last week for her one month appointment. She weighed 9 pounds 10 ounces and was 21 3/4 inches in length. It is so cool to see her growing before our eyes. Some mornings Trent and I wake up and with just a glance we can see changes in her from the night before. We are so thankful for her good health!

I feel like Gracelyn and I have made several significant strides this week. First, I am so thankful to the Lord that He has given us a rather routine night schedule. Most nights, Gracelyn is nursing around 10:30, up again around 2:00 and then usually joins us in bed for the last "night" feeding at 5:00. Knowing that she will sleep pretty well for a three hour stretch has given me much needed rest. We try to lounge in bed for as long as possible in the mornings, often not getting up until 9 or 10. Just when I was getting overwhelmed at being up so often and at her bedside every time I heard her move, I came across an article on askdrsears.com about infant sleep patterns and REM sleep. I was amazed at how God has designed babies' natural sleep habits for their survival. It confirmed in me that it was best not to turn to those gadgets that promote long periods of deep sleep for infants and that it is not a sign of bad parenting if my baby isn't sleeping through the night at one month old.

Motherhood has been quite fulfilling for me. It is truly a full time job figuring out little Gracie--being sensitive to her cries, anticipating her needs and simply enjoying her learning new things. This week though she threw us for a loop and challenged us with a new cry. Mostly, Grace has cried when she's gassy and needs a good burp and with much practice we have finally gotten more successful at finding just the spot to pat to bring her relief. But on Monday night, she cried like we hadn't heard before and she wouldn't be consoled for any significant period of time unless we were moving just a particular way while standing with her in our arms. Trent and I traded off for several hours and eventually daddy went to town to pick up some medicine. Fortunately by the time he returned, Gracelyn was asleep on her boppy on my lap with a mom who didn't want to breath, lest I wake her up. We still don't quite know why she couldn't settle down to rest but it gave me a little glimpse of what parents might experience with a colicky baby. I have a great new respect for those parents who have to endure the hours on end of inconsolable crying day after day. Gracelyn ended up having a fine night and in fact, the next day, she and I had one of our best days yet. She was happy and slept well while I carried her around the house in my sling doing housework. I was able to unload and load the dishwasher, fold laundry, write thank you cards, pick up around the house and vacuum with her snuggled up near my chest. It reminded me (and I suspect her as well) of the days when she was in the womb. By the way, I love my sling and would highly recommend it. It's a Baby K'Tan sling that I ordered from Target and I was able to do all that work without a sore back or neck. Her weight is supported on both shoulders and it wraps very tightly so I don't have to worry about her falling out.

Trent and I celebrated our three year wedding anniversary on June 3rd. We had dinner out as a couple while Aunt Monica and Grammy watched Gracie. We had an awesome time remembering our favorite highlights of our first years of marriage and dreaming big for the many years to come. You are such a good man, T and I am so happy that you choose to spend your life with me!

We also spent our first night away from home. We slept in the Gautney's basement and had a rather good night's sleep. It was awesome as usual to be in their home hanging with them. Their house is full of peace even among the beautiful sound of children. And we got to hear something wonderful. Kado said Mom!

Today I heard Gracelyn laugh. She was sleeping in my arms and seriously, she started a giggle and then busted out a laugh. She did a shorter version for daddy tonight. I wish I could get into her little brain and see what makes her so happy.

Ok, so I realize that alot of the text above is just details about our week that most people probably wouldn't enjoy reading. But this has turned into a bit of diary for me and so I am documenting those memories that I don't want to forget. There will be many milestones along the way and it's hard to recall when and how they all came about. Here's one more brief memory for my own benefit. Mindy, don't forget the dream that made such an impression...the one with the crazy lady who was OCD and didn't want me to nurse Gracelyn while I had on eye makeup, Gracelyn was put in a mesh covered box on a boppy, her "new family" fed her mexican food at two months old, and Gracie looked at me for rescue and said as plain as day..."Mommy, Jesus is arriving soon, Mommy, Mommy." Dreams are so crazy!

Here are some pictures from the past two weeks. The part almost everyone enjoys!

We both love bath time! Her legs are so strong. She is standing in the sink.

One of her favorite places to be is in her daddy's arms.



I love her lips in this picture.

More Daddy time!

Aunt Joni bought her some super cute outfits. Love the poka dots!






Morning times are so special for us. Good thing Gracelyn looks better than her mama when she wakes up.



These are videos of morning time fun!

Ok, I am slow to learn that when I take video with my camera this direction, everyone has to turn their head to see it correctly. One day I will get it right. But I am so proud of baby Grace for showing off her strong neck.

This is Gracelyn waking up. It takes such effort!

2 comments:

Alisa Palmer said...

those pictures are so precious and made me smile from ear to ear! and I loved reading your stories of being a super-mom with your baby strapped to your body! We are NOT the fairer sex, are we? :)

Piggy said...

I love seeing the pics and especially the video. The one video where she smiles so big but makes no noise reminds me of her Aunt Jamie. Jamie would smile big like that for the longest time but not make any sounds. She did that for a long, long time and then finally made cooing noises.

I also love hearing about your day and I'm glad you are posting these memories. I am ready to hear more about that dream, though!!!!

Love you all and look forward to talking to you and seeing Baby Gracelyn soon.

Love, Piggy