Monday, May 11, 2009

Highlights of the Good Life--Gracelyn's First Week of Life

Here we are, the Willhite family of three. Although labor and delivery was by far the hardest thing I have ever accomplished, the rewards were beyond expectation. Having Gracelyn in my arms was the greatest joy. However, I got to witness the peace and mercy of God in new ways. He provided all that I needed to endure and having Trent at my side meant the world to me. His huge hand on my face and hair provided much needed security when I was overwhelmed and his words of encouragement helped me stay diligent when the pushing went long. He had so much faith in me. I was also fortunate enough to have Lavonne (Trent's mom), Monica and Joni (Trent's sisters) at my side during most of the laboring stages. They held my hand through contractions, gave me foot and back massages, kept my washcloth wet, pulled my hair up and prayed for me. In the end, we were blessed with a wonderful delivery doctor, Dr. Ohlhausen, and Trent and Joni were there to witness the moment of Gracelyn's birth.




Holding my baby for the first time was different than I expected. I loved her from the beginning but it was a strange love. I realized that I didn't know her and there was a lifetime ahead that we would spend getting to know this little human, this little soul. It still is somewhat surreal.



Gracelyn's first bath





The nurses at the hospital did such an amazing job taking care of Gracelyn. They dressed her in gowns that had long, floppy sleeves and fixed her hair with bows and spikes. I melted the first time I saw her with a hair bow.




Here is Trent after 40 exhausting hours without sleep and very little food. He is literally hanging off the "expandable" couch.



Gracelyn just got examined by the pediatrician. Dr. Lively was awesome. He finished off her exam with a kiss on her head.


We had many visitors in the hosptial. Here she is meeting her Piggy and Pops for the visit time.




Hanging out with Pops




Gracelyn got to meet almost all of her family. We can't wait to see you Aunt Jamie, Uncle Paul and cousins Ashton and Emma. Here are Aunt Joni and Uncle Beau and cousin Grant below.



Cousins Sarah, Steven and Michael with Aunt Julie




Uncle Todd

Auntie Monica


Great Aunt Betty


I love this picture!! Gracelyn loves hanging with her daddy. He is so precious with her. My love grows for him more and more each day as I watch them together.
Here we are getting ready to leave the hospital. Trent picked out this dress for her to wear on the day we welcomed her home.

You can catch a little glimspe of her dimple on her right cheek. It is becoming more defined every day and lately there has been a hint of a dimple of her left cheek too. Piggy, Papa and I all have dimples.

We made it home!

Gracelyn taking her first sunbath.

Her hair intrigues me everyday. Everyone asks "where did she get that jet black hair?"

Gracelyn loves to sleep with her hands over her face. I think she looks like a little pink sausage all swaddled up in her blanket.

We have a thumb-sucker in the making!

Five days old and going to church.
Dreaming and grinning with Mr. Bunny

Checking out mommy's new carrier

Celebrating being one week old!

We love you Gracelyn Mae!



8 comments:

Libby said...

Hey Mindy!! Congratulations to you both, she is just beautiful!

Marcia said...

Congratulations. Gracelyn looks precious!

Alisa Palmer said...

such beautiful pictures - she is the sweetest thing - love that pic of her and trent!

Joni said...

Ok I totally keep coming back and looking at these precious pics!!!!! I love her soooo much, and can't wait to see her in 3 weeks!!! I love ya'll too:)

Joni said...

P.s. there is nothing wrong with a thumb sucker

Piggy said...

And it was my shoulder she is laying on sucking that thumb!!!! I miss her so much. It was so fun to see her tonight on Skype and I really miss her now. Give her a kiss from her Piggy and I look forward to reading more and seeing more pictures of her every day or every few days when you post. Love you all ---lots, Piggy

Big Papa said...

Oh my GOSH!!! I can't believe how beautiful your family is! You all are so precious.....little miss Gracie Mae is incredibly beautiful and such a sweet little spirit. Thank you for posting so many great pics. I love the pic of Julie and the kids admiring Gracelyn...your face is in the background with the biggest smile. ;-) I'm so glad we all got to be there to share in the joy of that day. Welcome to the world Gracelyn, the Gautney gang is in LOVE with you!
Love y'all,
Monica
(for the whole gang)

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful. This post made me cry. i am so happy for you guys and can't wait to meet her! I would comment on all the pictures, but it would be a book! I loved them all. But my favs were her and Trent, sucking her thumb, and her hair! we will hopefully get up there soon and be able to stop in and see you guys!

it was also great to see pictures of Trents family. hope they are all doing well.

tzigane (josh, sarai and micah too!)

p.s. stop by my blog to see pictures and stuff if you want/get the time!